The Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina is a beautiful hotel that is wonderful for traveling adults, not so much for families with small children. Read on to find out why.
Here’s the ups and downs of our stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina.
The Sheraton San Diego Hotel is located directly across the street from the San Diego airport. We chose to stay at this hotel because there was a week long meeing my husband had to attend here at their convention center.
We had no idea of the schedule he would need to keep so it was best to stay at the hotel so he could come and go to the room as needed.
If this wasn’t the case, there is no way I would have booked this hotel. Not that the hotel wasn’t beautiful with lots of amenities, it just isn’t right for a week long stay in San Diego with small children.
Pros of the Hotel
- Friendly staff – Everyone we met was fantastic and helpful.
- Beautiful Lobby with large aquarium the children enjoyed – Keep the kids busy during check in.
- Lots of restaurants on site – Plenty to choose from since this is the only food in walking distance (see cons of the hotel for more on that.)
- Beautiful views of the marina and downtown San Diego- Not necessarily from your room, we had a view of tennis courts.
- Beautiful pools and landscaping- The pools are nestled in tropical foliage for a exotic feeling.
Cons of the Hotel
- Rooms are a little expensive- With all the extra add-ons you have to pay for. I could definitely find a cheaper hotel with amenities that matter to me (breakfast, fridge and microwave in room).
- Next to airport- This is a pro for some who need to leave quickly, but we could hear the planes even in the room.
- No other restaurants within walking distance- Not totally true, you could probably walk to the airport and eat there, or walk a mile or two along the water to get to downtown, but not too realistic for families.
- No free breakfast- Not a deal breaker for those of you who skip it, but our kids must eat breakfast or the “grump grumps” will torture us all day.
- Pay for parking- Very expensive. $24 a night, $34 for valet, plus you share self-parking with folks who have permits for the marina, so a lot of close spaces are permit only.
Pros of the Room
- Nice and clean- There is a cute nautical theme.
- Big desk- There are some outlets on the lamp pictured so you don’t have to stoop to plug something in.
- Comfy Beds and Pillows- I actually considered purchasing some of the pillows off their website they were so comfy (the price of each stopped me.)
- Balcony with chairs- We didn’t have a great view so we didn’t use ours.
- $5 voucher if you decline maid service for the next day- You can opt in when booking on the website. You can call for clean towels and toilet paper anytime, but the maid won’t stop by on her own. You have to use the voucher while you are staying there, but it’s not too hard with their cafe of yummy treats.
Cons of the Room
- Not a lot of outlets available- Have to get behind furniture to plug in a charger.
- Not a lot of storage space for toiletries- Around the sink in the bathroom is all there is.
- No fridge or microwave, bring a plug in cooler like this (we actually own this one and it is so handy) if you need to keep anything cold.
- Minibar you can’t store food in- This was the kid’s first mini bar experience, so we had to have a talk about not taking anything out of it.
- Paid Internet- During the conference, my husband had access to free internet, but in the room, we had to pay $11.95 for 24 hours for 3 mbps download and upload speed. or
$18.95 for 24 hours for 10 mbps download and upload speed. This is also only good for two devices so make sure if you have more than that, you choose carefully which ones you connect.
Who This Hotel Is Good For
- People flying in or out of the airport and need a bed for the night. If you have no car and kids, this place is great with all the restaurants and atmosphere in and around (as in the fire pit outside) the hotel.
- If there is a convention you are attending at the hotel. The only other closest hotel to here is another Sheraton so not a lot of options to choose from.
- If all you want to do is lounge by a pool. These have a couple beautiful ones to do this with.
Who This Hotel Is Not For
- I couldn’t see staying here if you want to be close to Downtown. Driving to the hotel is madness with the entrance to the airport on the same street.
- Families with small kids that need food ready and available whenever they need it. No fridge or microwave put you at the mercy of the way overpriced room service for emergency food needs.
So while this hotel is a beautifully well kept place, it just wasn’t right for our family. Have you ever stayed here. How did you like it? Let us know below.